Monday, July 1, 2013

Dangerous Denizens

"Blackdirge's Dungeon Denizens" by Aeryn Rudel, published and distributed by Goodman Games.

ISBN = 978-0-9816663-8-9  GAG # 5224

This 144 page book includes many new monsters from the Goodman Games line of Dungeon Crawl Classics adventure modules up to slightly over DCC 50.  There are tables for monsters by keyword, monsters by type, and monsters by origin.  There are 64 different types of monsters, many of which have at least one, if not more, variants. The back of the book lists racial traits and monsters by level.  The monsters by level chart reveals creatures from the ordinary level ones all the way to level 30 (!).  Although there are a couple pages of advertisements, the vast bulk of the book consists of creatures that even jaded players have never encountered.  There's a short Preface and Intro, both of which are a single page. 

Although I generally do not use 4th Edition, the chance to pick up a bunch of new critters was hard to resist.  There were pictures for almost every monster.  Personally I'd usually rather convert these monsters into, well, let's just call it "3.75".  I found the stat blocks from each creature easy to read, and the creatures that exceed level 20 a good match for an well experienced party.  There are only 13 of these upper level creatures, including the evilest dragon I've ever seen.  I can't wait to pull a few of these monsters out of my hat to plague my players.  I recommend this book to GM's looking to spice up a campaign.

No comments: