Saturday, August 21, 2021

Why I'm Quitting World of Warcraft

Why I'm Quitting World of Warcraft.

by Bruce Gray

I started playing Blizzard's games before there even was such a thing as "World of Warcraft". I happily played hours on end of "Warcraft III". Then they made the big move to World of Warcraft.

This biggest hit I took was when they "leveled the playing field" again recently. When that happened, my major WoW character had finally reached level 120 - which was the maximum at that time. With that character, I felt like I could take on almost any obstacle. But when the latest "update" hit, my character was reduced to a 50th level character, and his primary weapon was removed. This really started my growing dissatisfaction with World of Warcraft. But that had not been the first time that they had purposely lowered all high level characters. There have been others.

The latest "upgrade" was to a part of Shadowlands called "Chains of Domination". Even with my very best characters (and I have two level 60 characters now), I cannot get to the newest world area.

I'm not the usual person who is quitting WoW. Most of the comments I've read are from people who are into PVP, or Player Versus Player. If that had been all I had available, I would have quit long ago.

But there are servers (just a few mind you) that specialize in PVE, or Player Versus Environment. That's the type of WoW I can really get into. PVP, to me, just sounds like another first person shooter. The few times I tried a character in a PVP setting, and every time thereafter, I was usually killed by another player who just killed me to get my stuff. There are times when I was even killed as a first level character by another much higher level character. Why respawn over and over again?

My biggest problem with this is the seemingly endless amount of real cash I have to sink into Blizzard to play WoW. I pay, on average, $15 a month for services that allow me to run any of my characters any higher than 20th level. I've seen a lot of reports about subscription members leaving. At one time, I had heard that they were over five million subscribers. But the exodus of unhappy WoW players, according to some sources, has left them with just under two million subscribers.

Let's crunch some number here. Just to be more than fair, I only allowed for one million subscribers. When I multiply 1,000,000 subscribers times even $10 a month, I get $10,000,000 - =a= =month=. Surely this is enough money to make =any= game better.

But I'm tired or all the changes and all the BS. By Sept 1, 2021, I will no longer be playing World of Warcraft. Will I miss it? Hell, yes. But I fell as though Blizzard has forgotten their core players. There's already rumors that many core WoW fans have left and joined such games as Guild Wards 2, Final Fantasy, and others. And one thing is for certain. I'll be spending my hard earned $15.00 per month on other things.

See you all on the other side.

Bruce Gray

No comments: