Monday, January 11, 2010

Civilization Like Web Based Games 1

Travian:

http://www.travian.us/

Travian is the first of the browser based games I shall review.  It's also by far one of the simplest as far as graphics are concerned. 

Like all others, you need resources - in this case, wood. clay, iron, and wheat.  There's a convenient icon for food (wheat) consumption in case you wonder where all your wheat is going.  You start with pre=planned spaces for your resources to be placed.  Six wheat spaces, and four of everything else.  There's also a city you must start to build, with places for things like your main building (sometimes called a Town Hall) and other things such as a barracks, marketplace, warehouse, cranny, grainery, embassy, trapper, and others.

You have thirteen days of beginner's protection - you cannot be attacked by other players during this time.  And you'll need it.  It's been almost a week for me already and I haven't built so much as one warrior.

You'll need the warriors and other troops for protection and fighting.  As is the case with other Civ-based games, you will be eventually fighting with other players for dominance of the area. 

I can't say I liked the graphics - they're kinda cartoonish and not very appealing to gamers in the 21st century.  It's also one of the slowest to get rolling - the 13 day protection should have given you a clue about that.  As for me, I'll be folding up my tents and getting out of the lands of Travian.  But, as with all my reviews, Your Milage May Vary.

No comments: