Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Add Aztecs to your campaign

"Aztecs: Empire of the Dying Sun" by Various
Published and distributed by Avalanche Press
ISBN = 193209102-5 - 64 pages

Table of Contents
Part 1 - Aztec Culture
Part 2 - Empire of the Dying Sun
Part 3 - Magic, Religion, and Faith
Part 4 - Aztec Characters
Part 5 - Outfitting the Character
Part 6 - Aztec Creatures
Part 7 - Aztec Adventures

This is a D20 booklet for version 3.0 of "The World's Greatest Roleplaying System".

Of the ones I have, this is certainly the most useful.  There's a great overview of the savage Aztec culture, including a look at their behavior, their death ceremonies, their weddings, how they conducted war, their education of citizens, and, believe it or not, dancing.

There's also a look at their empire, and the city-states within it.

The part about magic includes a description of their strange calendar, a look at their definition of the Thirteen Heavens and the Nine Hells, and three types of magic users - Priests, Shamans, and Sorcerers.

One of the things I really hate is the cover.  It has another titillating almost naked female displayed in the center.  If I had judged a book totally by its cover alone, I probably would not have bought this booklet.

There are two new character classes, two new Prestige Classes, eight new monsters, and eight adventure seeds.

I've got to admit, that until I had a copy of Aztecs in hand, I never had any part of my world that was dedicated to any Mezo-American culture.  But Aztecs changed my mind.  Although, once again, there is a somewhat scantily clad female on the cover, I quickly came to ignore it.  This is one that might be worth a look if you want to add an Aztec themed section to your world.

No comments: